ASI’s habilitation program is designed to provide self-directed, individualized support through the active treatment process of teaching and reinforcing functional skills which improves independence in personal, social, vocational, and community skills.
ASI’s Habilitation Aides are fully trained to monitor, demonstrate and educate consumers in order to assist with the acquisition and retention of skills involving self-direction, communication, socialization, self-care, daily living, community participation, mobility and health. These programs are implemented in group and individual settings, utilizing high and low tech teaching tools in both the facility and community setting. Below is a list of program activities, resources and tools that habilitation staff utilizes in each major goal area:
- Self-Advocacy Training: Curriculum on Choices, Self-Advocacy, and the consumer role in the Person Centered Planning Process. This program is intended to increase the consumer’s sense of self-direction and assist them in becoming the leader of their PCP team. Staff and consumer work together to create a self-directed “About Me” booklet. Staff question, observe, and provide choices to the consumers, and record their preferences during the community outings, social interactions and facility activities. This booklet is ultimately reproduced as an electronic presentation called “About Me”, to be viewed at the consumers PCP meeting, as well as to be used to help train new staff during consumer specific trainings.
- Meaningful Days Curriculum: A program that increases the consumer’s knowledge in the humanities through practical and fun activities and games. The areas of learning include: music, drama, gardening, visual arts, animals, nature, story-telling, history, and sports.
- First Impressions: Male and Female Hygiene DVD’s. Topics and demonstrations range from using deodorant and proper female hygiene to how to take a shower for men and women. There is an accompanying workbook with group discussion topics, as well as individual assignments.
- Personal Success: Interactive CD-Rom dealing with personal hygiene issues for individual use, as well as an accompanying workbook for group and individual discussion topics.
- Health Advocacy Program: Comprehensive nutrition and health program, including group and individual activities and workbooks. Also includes DVD and CD-Rom materials and learning aides.
Communication & Socialization
- Sign Language (CD-Rom): Created with the intent to increase communication skills of both the consumers served and staff who serve them. Printable signs for consumers to learn new words, or for those who are non-verbal or have significant speech/language barriers.
- Story Board (CD-Rom): Easy to use storyboard maker that can assist consumers in learning and completing a daily schedule/routine.
- Story Board Learning Workbooks: A series of three consumer workbooks that teach social, community, and recreational skills, while at the same time familiarizing consumer with common storyboard symbols.
- People Smart Program: Focuses on Basic Friendship and Relationship communication skills. This program combines DVD role plays/situational demonstrates with group discussion and individual workbook activities.
- Manners for the Real World: Instructional role play DVD that increases personal social skills in areas such as introductions, phone conversations, saying goodbye, etc.
- Shopping List Generator (CD-Rom): Program designed to create a shopping list with consumer for easy use at grocery stores. Can be used with pictures and/or works. (Also includes 101 Picture Recipes; easy to use recipes for non-readers.)
- Look n Cook for the Microwave: Picture recipes for individuals who prefer to cook and eat using the microwave. Increase variety and health quality of food cooked in the microwave.
- Social Skills at Work (CD-Rom): Program for consumers to increase their social skills at work. Additional workbooks available to learn additional work associated skills.
- Match Time (CD-Rom): Teaches time-telling and day of the week skills. Works in conjunction with a large digital clock.
- Word Signs in the Community (CD-Rom): Generates list of community signs and words. Goal is for consumer to learn words and signs on community outings.
- Community Success (CD-Rom): Social skill building activities and discussion topics for consumer while on community outings.
- Math Skills for the Non-Reader: Basic math skills in workbook format that focuses on easy to learn counting, adding, and subtracting.
- Dollars & Cents (CD-Rom): Program that focuses on recognizing money, spending & purchasing, and making change skills.
- Money Skills Workbook: Money games and skill activities used with “educational” dollars.
- Money Smart Program: Advanced program that focuses on economic self sufficiency issues such as checking accounts, savings accounts, and borrowing.
- Daily Readers: A short story for every day of the year. These stories are for beginning readers. Topics include history, science, pop culture, and entertainment. The accompanying workbook tests comprehension, vocabulary, and main ideas. There are also topical group discussions.
- Student Author’s Series: A range of 12 stories with increasing difficulty levels. Accompanying workbook that tests vocabulary and comprehension.
Mobility & Health
- Gentle Exercise: DVD for seniors and those confined to a wheel chair. This video focuses on fine motor skills and range of motion.
- Walk Your Way to Fitness (DVD Set): DVD 1: Nine Walking exercises for individuals with developmental disabilities. DVD 2: 9 workouts and dances to work “work your way to fitness”! Both DVD’s come with group and individual workbook assignments and discussion topics.